Gmail is a free web mail service provided by Google Inc. You can log in to all Google services using your same Gmail account. But what if you forget your Gmail password? There is a feature to recover your forgotten password.
It all depends on how much information you provided during Gmail sign up. If you have provided your phone number, recovery email address, then it will be very easier to reset Gmail password. But if you were a bit careless there or thought you would set your phone number and recovery email address, then it is a bit difficult however it is not impossible.
Steps To Reset Gmail Password
- From Gmail login box, click on ‘Forgot password?’ link. You will see this link only in the Password field.
- Enter the last Gmail password that you can remember. If you cannot remember your last password, move to next question.
- Select when did you create your Google account. If you cannot remember that either then go to next step.
- Enter an email address you can check now. It helps if you use an email you’ve already added to this account. It doesn’t matter if you have provided an alternative email or not. Just enter any email that you can open. Then click on Next button.
- Now log in to that email address and check inbox for Gmail verification code. Enter a 6-digit verification code.
- Create a new, strong password that you don’t use for other websites. Re-enter your new password for confirmation. Click Change Password button.
- You have successfully reset Gmail password. Next time when you sign in, use your new login password.
Add Recovery Email and Phone Number for Gmail Account
Prevention is better than cure. So once you get your Gmail account , add a recovery email and phone number. It helps you make your account more secure and have full control of your account.
- Go to www.gmail.com. Login to your account
- Click on your first initial of your name from top right hand side of page right next to bell icon.
- Then go to “My Account”, then click on ‘Your personal info’ under Personal info & privacy. Or you can just go to this link https://myaccount.google.com/secureaccount
- Add your recovery phone number and recovery email. Click Done.
Change Gmail Login Password
If you know your current gmail password, you can still sign in to your account but you want to change your password to stronger one, then follow the steps :
- Make sure you are logged in to your Gmail account. If not, then go to gmail.com and log in.
- Now click on this direct link https://myaccount.google.com/security/signinoptions/password
- Enter a new password. Re-enter your new password for confirmation. Click CHANGE PASSWORD button.
How To Create a Strong And Secure Password ?
- Key to a very strong password is length. Lengthier your password, more secure and strong your password is. Password must be more than 8-characters long.
- Never use the same password for every websites that you login e.g. hotmail. gmail, facebook, twitter, etc. It is easier to crack your password if you use the same password for all sites.
- Do not use common password such as your name, iloveyou, 1234, password, qwerty, etc. Anyone can guess if you use such passwords. Come up with something that no one can guess and easier for you to remember.
- Make a good use of upper/lower cases, number and special characters. You password must contain combination of all these three. for e.g. mYp@55w0Rd.
- If you cannot remember all the passwords for every sites, then you can use LastPass add-on in your web-browser.
Gmail 2-Step Verification
Two-step verification is undoubtedly the most secure function. It adds a layer to your account security. Every google accounts support 2-step verification. First you have to enable this function. When you or someone tries to sign in from different device, Gmail requires a code to login.
How To Turn On 2-Step Verification
- Go to www.gmail.com. Sign in to your account.
- From the topmost right hands side of the page, click My Account>Sign-in & Security.
- Scroll down and click on 2-Step Verification, then click on GET STARTED. Enter your password once again to log in.
- Now you are on 2-step verification page. Select your country, then type in your mobile number. Click on TRY IT.
- Google will send you verification code in your mobile to confirm its yours. Enter the code and click NEXT.
- After you have added and confirm your phone number, click TURN ON to enable Google 2-step verification.
If you still have any question about resetting your Gmail password, then please feel free to comment below. If you want to give up on this account and create a new account, then go to this link http://howtosignup.net/gmail-sign-up/ and get a new one.